Disclosure: This post may include affiliate links, which help us to offset some of the costs of running the blog. As always, all opinions are our own. Please visit this link to read our full affiliate disclosure. Thank you in advance for your support and for sharing our posts with your friends and family!
This carnitas style slow cooker shredded pork is perfect for easy family dinners, lunches or appetizers. Create a variety of dishes from a single recipe!
Easy Slow Cooker Carnitas Style Shredded Pork
This Carnitas Style Slow Cooker Shredded Pork is a regular in our house. It starts with a delicious Boston butt pork roast and simple, but flavorful, seasonings.
I trim my roast, leaving some of the fat for added flavor and tenderness, and add onion, garlic, salt and ocassionally, a couple of bay leaves, to the slow cooker.
Keeping the seasonings simple means that I can use this tasty shredded pork in a variety of recipes, making it incredibly versatile.
Easy Slow Cooker Shredded Pork
I love that I can prepare a whole roast in my slow cooker and store the leftovers in the refrigerator for use in several recipes throughout the week.
You can easily customize this recipe after cooking, by adding BBQ sauce for pulled pork sandwiches, chile sauce for tamal filling or leave it as is, for stacking on sandwiches, tacos and shredded pork tostadas.
Products from Amazon.com
Price: $17.79Was: $24.95
Artland Masonware Round Galvanized Metal Party Serving Tray with Wooden Handles, 19.5"" x 16"" x 2""Price: $24.33Was: $35.00
This carnitas style shredded pork is a great addition to party appetizers and can easily be made in your slow cooker. Add it to chips to make nachos de carnitas, or stuffed inside rolls or biscuits, and topped with cole slaw or another delicious garnish.
Carnitas Style Slow Cooker Shredded Pork
- 1 4 lb. boneless pork butt roast skin and excess fat removed
- 1 onion quartered
- 1/2 cup low sodium chicken broth or water
- 2 tbsp garlic powder
- 1-2 bay leaves
- salt to taste
- 1 orange juiced
- Trim pork of any excess fat. Place pork roast into slow cooker.
- Wedge onion quarters in between the roast and the sides of the slow cooker.
- Add garlic and broth (or water). You can also submerge 1-2 bay leaves and orange juice into the slow cooker (optional).
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- When the pork is tender and pulls away easily with a fork, add salt to taste and cook for one (1) additional hour.
- Remove meat from heat and let cool. When cooled, pull meat into thick shreds. Remove any unrendered fat or bones (if using a bone-in roast).
- Return pulled pork to slow cooker and adjust seasoning as desired. Serve on top of fresh made tostadas, rolls, biscuits or BBQ nachos.
Looking for a delicious recipe made with shredded pork? Check out our Shredded Pork Tostadas Topped with a Fried Egg and Avocado Salsa!